Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Emotional Attachment

I know I get attached to a lot of physical things that are probably silly like clothes (especially baby ones), stuffed animals, and home decor. I realized last night that I have an emotional attachment to our car. Sad, yes I know! We sold it yesterday to a really nice couple and I really wanted them to have it because they were so nice, but as we handed them the keys I remembered bringing Haley home from the hospital in it and being 9 months pregnant with her when we got it. Then I remembered bringing Hunter and Harmon home in it as well. What wonderful memories. I did try to think about fitting the 3 car seats in the back and felt some relief that we now have a bigger vehicle, but I think it will still be missed. I'm sure I'll get over it quickly and get emotionally attached to some other unimportant object.

On another note we had the inauguration on this morning and Michael asked Haley if she knew who that guy was on TV. She said "No" then Michael told her it was the new President. She said "Oh President Monson--we learned about him last night." I am so relieved that my little Family Home Evenings are not in vein!! We did talk about Prophets as Hunter jumped on the couch and Harmon crawled all over me.

6 comments:

Sally said...

I totally understand the attachment. I felt the same way about our Highlander. When we dropped it off I purt near cried.

Amy B. said...

I drove by our old house for about a year and missed it so much...now I can't even imagine living there again...you'll get over it!

Michelle said...

I've done this too. When we sold our Jetta I was very sad. That car took us from North Carolina to Louisiana to California and back. We visited Wyoming and Utah with three little boys in the back of that car. We shipped that car to Germany with us and traveled all over Germany in it. It moved back to Colorado with us and then back to North Carolina and then back to Las Vegas as well. We had it for more than a decade. It felt like I had to let go of the memories when we watched it be towed away with a new owner. I had hoped that would be my sons first car, as it had been so dependable...but I think it committed suicide at the thought of a teenager driving it. :D

Lara said...

Same thing happened to me when we sold one of our cars. I don't know why it is so hard. It is just a car, right? Anyway, you'll be fine. I am glad I am not the only one.

i said...

me too!

Heather said...

Love the pics, but may I say your goals for the years made me tired...I need some ice cream and a nap after reading them! Heather



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com