Monday, May 4, 2009
Derby anyone?
We have our pinewood derby in a couple of weeks and I'm stressing because I have NOOOOO idea on how to run a pinewood derby. I'm not sure how many heats to do, how to keep track of the heats, how to keep it organized, and how to protect the track that I'm in charge of. I really hate being over these things. The last few years we have combined with another ward and the lady in charge was amazing and had pit passes and the whole bit. Hopefully some of her inspiration will rub off on me. I might copy her idea of having Chocolate milk and chocolate doughnuts as treats (Like oil and tires). If anyone out there has any great ideas or has already done their derby's please let me know!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I thought you were still around when we did ours, but maybe I was dreaming!! :) When we did ours we found this website that had all these great ideas, we gave awards to everyone that participated, one was "most fuel efficient" for the slowest car, the boys loved that! They had lots of other helpful hints. I don't remember the site but I am sure you could google it!! :)
Bishop Crouch is a derby nut...ask him for ideas/instructions too.
You can find him on Facebook, by the way. He's always talking about pinewood derbys. :)
For Ben's they just had judges down at the end to determine who took first, second, third,etc. We didn't have the electronic timed ones. Each car raced 5 times - once in each lane. For each heat they got a score of 4 for 1st, 3 for 2nd, 2 for 3rd, 1 for 4th, and 0 for 5th. Whoever had the highest score after the 5 heats won the derby. They each got a little certificate. Ben loved it. It was pretty low-key. As always there were some overly competitive parents but it was still fun.
Okay, this has nothing to do about the derby. What could I possibly know about that? :) I was just reading your blog and Addison looked over my shoulder and saw your baby countdown...she asked, "Is that hawk going to eat that baby?" Oh kids are so funny sometimes! I hope you get a kick out of that and please look out for baby-eating hawks!
Post a Comment