Monday, August 24, 2009

First Day of Kindergarten

With a heavy heart I sent my baby girl off to Kindergarten today. Yes, I shed a tear and yes I know it's only 2 1/2 hours long, but she's my little girl. I was so excited for her to head off to school and she was so ready, but I'm still a little sad. Her teacher sent out a letter that explained exactly how I felt. She quoted a note that she got from another parent that said:

Dear Teacher,
Today I turn some of my little girl's life over to you. It is not easy for me, because I held her so tight when she was a newborn and I taught her, and she felt the love of her family.
But today a new chapter in her life begins. And for a few hours I will not be there to answer her questions, kiss her bruises to "save" her from some pain, but you will be there. Be kind, for she is small. She has so much to give, and so much to learn. And so for those few hours when she is yours, remember, I held her tightly. I share her dreams ... her hopes.
Give her love and help her learn. And when the day is over, send her home unharmed.

I can totally relate to this parent and feel the exact same way and I trust her teacher to teach her and care about her. So with Hannah Montana back pack in hand off she went excited to see friends and make new ones. (It helped she got to sit by "Carson" her little boyfriend from pre-school) Haley came home from her first day excited to go back tomorrow and can't wait to learn everything!
I was excited to have a little photo shoot before school and I'm glad she was all smiles because she didn't wake up that way. She woke up with a head ache and wasn't feeling very well, she wouldn't eat (even though I got up early to make her requested breakfast of pancakes, eggs, and bacon) and she just wanted to go back to bed. She was in bed by 8:00 last night and you'd think 11 hours sleep is good enough, but not for my Haley. She needs a good 12-13 hours to feel rested. A little Motrin and Gatorade and a few hugs and she got moving. We had to include her brothers in the photo shoot as well and my goodness what posers we have!

4 comments:

kate said...

Pretty girl!! How fun for kindergarten, and I love the pics!

Dave and Kristin said...

Don't they grow up so fast. Man, that letter left me a little misty eyed. That mom really did capture how we all feel. I'm just sending Gracie to preschool for two days a week, but I feel that way. Haley looks adorable and that's great she likes school. What an awesome mommy you are, making a nice breakfast after just having a baby!

Travis and Rhonda said...

Love the poses!

ShaLayne said...

What cute pictures, and that letter was so sweet, I feel that way on the first day, no matter what grade my kids enter.



I changed my font at thecutestblogontheblock.com